The 7 Best Correctional Officer Boots of 2020
Are you looking for a great boot for work? If so, you are likely on your feet for very long periods of time and need something that is both durable and comfortable at the same time.
When deciding on the best correctional officer boots, keep in mind that boots are where the rubber meets the road, both figuratively and literally. You need a pair of boots that will be both durable and practical.
And you need a boot that will keep you comfortable, even on your longest shifts.
Among all the options available, Under Armour Men’s Valsetz RTS Side-Zip Military, highly recommended and given the comfort features along with durability, these boots are truly second to none.
If you are training ranger school, you can check the best ranger school boots.
Best Correctional Officer Boots of 2019
|Under Armour Men’s Valsetz RTS Side Zip Military and Tactical Boot||Synthetic, Textile||Rubber||Check Price|
|Original S.W.A.T Men’s Metro Air 9 inch Side- Zip Tactical Boot||Leather||Leather||Check Price|
|Danner Men’s Acadia 8” Boot||Leather||Vibram||Check Price|
|5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 2.0 Waterproof Military Storm Boots||Leather/Fabric||Synthetic||Check Price|
|Thorogood Men’s Gen-flex2 Series 8” Tactical Side Zip Jump Boot||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|Rocky Duty Men’s Modern Paraboot||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|Corcoran Men’s 10 Inch PR Marauder Work Boot||Leather||Synthetic||Check Price|
This boot is comfortable and true to size, with many features that allow for added support and increased wearability for long shifts. The support in this military and the tactical boot comes from the Under Armour Clutchfit technology used, which will wrap your ankle for additional support. It will also increase comfort.
Other comfort features include the Micro G foam which you’ll feel with every step. The sole is rubber with an abrasion-resistant rim around the perimeter of the foot. The rest of the boot is made of synthetic leather and textile.
The Under Armour Men’s Valsetz RTS boots fit true to size and offer a great feel and great fit while wearing. The drawbacks of these boots involve the overall craftsmanship. They do tend to fall apart in two primary areas. The first is the sole, which is known to separate from the rest of the shoe.
The second area is the stitching which starts to separate and therefore allows the boot to essentially fall apart. While these boots offer a good level of support, the drawbacks make them a hard product to support.
- True to size fit for accurate fit
- Comfort enhanced by the Mirco G Foam so you can wear these for long shifts on your feet
- Under Armour, Clutch foot to enhance support
- Side zipper for easy slip-on/off
- Lightweight so your legs won’t tire as easily
- Stitching is weak which means these boots can tear and fall apart
- Sole separates from the rest of the shoe, making them unwearable
- Not flame retardant which means you can’t safely wear them around flames
2. Original S.W.A.T Men’s Metro Air 9 inch Side- Zip Tactical Boot
Original S.W.A.T Men’s Metro tactical boots offer a good mix of durability and comfort. The construction is durable, made of solid materials including 100% leather, along with a leather sole. The upper part of the boot is also double-stitched with 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
There is a phylon EVA midsole with a custom mold to help enhanced cradled support and comfort, even on the longest of shifts. These boots are also lightweight so your feet won’t tire too easily. There is a good deal of impact absorption, as well, thanks to the visible heel air cell.
Original S.W.A.T Men’s Metro boots are ASTM F2913-11 slip-resistant for extra safety in slippery settings and the non-metallic construction makes them airport-friendly.
You can polish both the heel and toe on these boots, so you can keep them looking new for quite some time. And the hardware will stay looking new as well, given its non-metallic, rust-proof design. And the side zip means you can slip these on and off easily and quickly.
- Double-stitched for increased durability and longevity
- Side zip for easy on and off
- Non-metallic and rust-proof to keep these boots looking new
- Slip-resistant for extra safety
- Impact absorption for additional comfort
- Can make a squeaking noise, which can be annoying and impractical if using for work
- Toe area can be tight, making them a difficult fit for anyone with a wider foot
- Not waterproof so they cannot be comfortably worn moving through water
3. Danner Men’s Acadia 8” Boot
Danner Men’s Acadia 100% leather and Cordura boots are made in the USA and built to last. The durability is enhanced by the stitch down construction. The shank is constructed of fiberglass and is not insulated. These boots are also waterproof for added protection in inclement weather.
In terms of drawbacks, these boots are fairly narrow so if you have a wider foot, you should likely order the wide width option. That said, they do get broken in overtime and then they’re likely to fit you perfectly.
In addition, Acadia 8 is not the most lightweight option on our review list. In fact, these are a bit heavy, so you’ll want to keep that in mind if you plan on wearing them for especially long shifts.
While these boots aren’t perfect, once they are broken in, they will fit your foot like a glove and be incredibly comfortable. And they are known to last a long time, meaning you’ll get a lot of use out of them over time.
- Will eventually fit like a glove after breaking them in fully
- Made of 100% leather so they are built to last
- Stitch down construction increases durability
- Long-lasting so they’ll likely be a great investment
- Waterproof so you can stay dry even in inclement weather
- The narrow design is a difficult design for anyone with wider feet
- A bit heavy, which can make your feet and legs tired
- Can take some time to break-in, which can mean a bit of discomfort until they fit better
Also, Check Out The 7 Best Breathable Work Boots (Summer & Hot Weather) of 2019
4. 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 2.0 Waterproof Military Storm Boots
There are several aspects of these boots that make them particularly durable and long-lasting. To start, they offer triple stitching. And the laces hold up very well, which is likely because the zipper allows you to put these on and off very easily, meaning you don’t have to touch the laces much at all.
5.11 Tactical boots are waterproof, which means you can run and trek through water and puddles without your feet getting wet. That said, if the inside of the boot does get wet, you should be prepared for them to take a long time to dry out.
The 5.11 Tactical boots prove lightweight so your feet and legs aren’t likely to get tired while wearing these. And there is a good amount of support around the foot and throughout the ankle section. This again means you can wear these in comfort, even on your longest shifts.
In terms of drawbacks, despite the overall comfort of these boots, the sole insert does not provide the same level of comfort as the rest of the shoe. In fact, you may want to replace them with better inserts. That said, these are some of the best correctional officer boots available.
- Lightweight, so you can wear these for long periods of time
- Waterproof so you can stay dry even when working in the rain
- Triple stitching so you can rely on these boots to hold up against tears and separation
- Zipper for easy on and off
- Durable laces for longevity
- Traction is lacking in wet conditions which can mean slipping while running in inclement weather
- The sole insert is not very comfortable so you may want to replace with another one
5. Thorogood Men’s Gen-flex2 Series 8” Tactical Side Zip Jump Boot
Thorogood Gen-flex2 Series 8 are marked by their comfort and durability. In terms of comfort, they take very little time to break in so you can get to wear them comfortably very quickly. Also adding to the comfort factor is the Impact 200 gel heel insert.
This will lessen your feet and leg fatigue during long days. The shaft is about 8.5 inches from the arch so you’ll feel supported throughout.
For durability, the rubber outsole is dual-density with multi-directional traction lugs. This means that you can get a great grip on the ground, even if you’re moving on slick surfaces.
The YKK side zipper is heavy duty and has a Hook & Look closure for increased longevity. The sole is rubber and the boot is 100% leather as well.
These boots aren’t short on style either. They have a high shine leather at the toe for a more polished look which doesn’t detract from the durability and hard-working nature of the boot.
For drawbacks, the primary one is that these boots can get squeaky. This might not be a big deal when in a crowded area but the noise is quite noticeable when in a more quiet space. Another drawback is that these boots tend to feel heavier than some others reviewed here.
- Don’t need a lot of break-in time so you can get to wear them comfortably sooner
- Impact 200 gel heel insert limits leg and feet fatigue
- High shine leather toe for style
- Heavy-duty zipper means increased longevity and easy on and off
- Multi-directional traction lugs for great traction
- Squeaky noise means you can’t be very discreet
- Heavy which can detract from the other features that lessen leg fatigue
6. Rocky Side Zipper Jump Boot
The boot is water-resistant and has a lace-up closure as well as a rubber lug outsole and rubber sole for increased traction. That rubber lug outsole means resistance against any oil or slips.
While these boots are marketed with an easy on/off the zipper, that zipper can actually be quite difficult to maneuver. It doesn’t get quite high enough to slip the boot off easily.
The patent cap toe gives the boot a more stylish look. And the contoured EVA footbed means greater comfort. These boots don’t need a lot of time to break-in so you can achieve overall comfort rather quickly.
For drawbacks, these boots tend to scuff easily so they don’t stay looking new for very long.
- Comfort right out of the box means you don’t have to spend too much time breaking them in
- Shine at the toe means the better style
- Rubber lug outsole means great traction
- Water-resistant so you can stay dry
- High shaft for additional ankle support
- Scuff easily which means the look doesn’t stand up over time
- The zipper is difficult to maneuver so you can’t slip them on or off very easily
7. Corcoran Men’s 10 Inch PR Marauder Work Boot
These boots offer an incredible, superior fit with many features for increased comfort and usability. These 100% leather boots have a moisture-wicking lining to keep you dry, even on hot or rainy days.
They have a synthetic sole to help increase traction but that’s not all. The puncture-resistant steel bottom means that you can move through the toughest areas without concern.
The insole on these boots help control and prevent moisture and odor and are removable as well. There is also an abrasion-resistant fabric lining within the boot that helps to wick away any moisture.
The speed lace system extends the full height of the boot for extra support on your ankle and foot and the outsole is both non-marking and oil resistant.
In addition, the webbing reinforcement also adds to the ankle support you’ll experience with this boot. These boots are some of the best correctional officer boots you can get.
Related Article: The 7 Best Minimalist Boots (Zero Drop) of 2019
- Comfortable right out of the box so you don’t have to work on breaking in these boots
- Clean-up well which means the black will stay looking clean and new
- Speed lace system can make putting them on and off easy and quick
- Flexibility in the boot which means more comfort while wearing them on long shifts
- Moisture-wicking to keep you dry
- These tend to run a bit big so you have to somewhat guess at your proper size
- Toe cap can below for some users, which means it may be uncomfortable for some
What to Look For Correctional Officer Boots?
If you are working as a correctional officer community, you are likely on your feet for very long periods of time. Your shifts are likely 12 hours or more which means you need a boot that won’t tire your feet or legs.
That means you likely need something lightweight, with a great deal of cushion and a good amount of shock absorption. You also want to make sure you find a great fit. If your feet are narrow, you don’t want a wider, looser fit.
And likewise, if you have a wider foot, you want to steer clear of any boot that has a narrower toe area.
Great traction on your boots means that you can move and maneuver easily, even on slick or wet surfaces. If you are needing to move quickly or run at a moment’s notice, you want to be able to do so on the great tread. That tread creates great traction and means you can move when you need to and you can do so comfortably.
Stability is a huge factor when it comes to choosing the best boots. You want your ankle and foot stable and secure in the boot, as you may be moving quickly and you don’t want to lose your footing.
Stability has a lot to do with the overall fit of the shoe and make sure they aren’t too big or small. Many of those products reviewed here are fairly narrow which means they need to be broken in to achieve a perfect fit. That said, those narrow boots are often the ones that fit best once broken in properly.
Flexibility isn’t just about safety, though you want a boot you can move in comfortably. Flexibility has a lot to do with making sure your boot fits you like a glove. And that often means breaking them in which while uncomfortable for a short time, leads to increased comfortability once the boot fits properly.
When it comes to finding the boots for corrections officers, you want to find a product that will provide a good deal of protection. You might find this in the toe area but you are also likely to find features that will enhance protection throughout the boot.
For example, finding a boot that is both slips resistant and waterproof, means that you’ll be better protected when moving through slick areas or on wet pavement. If you are working as a firefighter, here is the best wildland fire boots for the money.
The soles of the boots you choose will play an important role in your overall safety. You want a boot sole that will prevent you from slipping and will give you a good amount of traction while both walking and running.
Water-resistant, or even waterproof, boots are a great option for anyone looking to wear their boots during all-weather events.
It is also important to choose a water-resistant boot if you plan on making rounds outside or spend most of your days outdoors. The outer materials of the boot are often what determine the boot’s level of water resistance.
When choosing the right work boot for correctional officers who spend a lot of time, you need something that will both help you get your job done safely while also keeping you comfortable on long shifts.
All 7 boots reviewed here would make a great boot, and all are considered some of the best boots for corrections officers, so you can’t go wrong with any of those listed here.