In a bid to save lives daily, doctors end up spending lots of time moving around or standing on their feet for many hours at a stretch.
They end up putting their feet through a lot of stress while offering comfort, assistance and hope to all kinds of patients that pass through hospitals and clinics.
As such, to reduce exposing your feet, arch, and joints to unnecessary pain and stress, you must put on shoes that are supportive, comfortable, and sturdy enough to protect you from hazards encountered on the job.
Thus, we have researched and identified the best shoes for doctors and medical professionals that meet these outlined requirements to keep you going as you continue to save lives.
Not surprisingly, Dansko Women’s Professional Clog Mule offers all-day support and comfort to the female physician, thereby setting the pace for others.
Let us read on to see others that also help doctors have a swell day as they focus on keeping others alive and healthy.
Related: Best Surgical Clogs
Best Shoes for Doctors and Medical Professionals
|Dansko Women’s Professional Clog Mule||Leather, Polyurethrane Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Crocs Women’s Neria Pro | Slip-Resistant Work and Nursing Shoe||Leather, Rubber Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Dr. Scholl's Men's Harrington Work Shoe||Leather, Rubber Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe||Full grain leather, M-Select GRIP Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Skechers for Work Men’s Balder Slip Resistant Work Clog||Synthetic, Rubber Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Easy Works Women’s Lyndee Health Care Professional Shoe||Leather, Synthetic Sole|| See On Amazon |
|Foamtreads Men’s Doctor||100% Textile, Synthetic|| See On Amazon |
1. Dansko Women’s Professional Clog Mule
Dansko always delivers unbeatable support and all-day comfort, the exact requirements people in the medical profession desire in a pair of work shoes.
With the box leather used for the upper and an oily finishing, you have a moisture-resistant and durable shoe with a roomy thermoplastic toe box that will serve as a toe protector.
It is also effortless to clean, often needing just necessary wiping to get a shiny appearance.
The rocker-bottom heel is comfortable and supportive to the feet, thereby reducing needless stress that may lead to fatigue.
- Presence of anti-fatigue rocker bottom to absorb shock from external impact
- Use of a firm footbed to get a complete leg, foot, and back support
- The natural leather sock lining promotes breathable comfort that keeps the feet dry always
- The PU inner frame and padded instep collar offer stability and reduce torque
- Available in 16 different colors to match your mood for the day
- More expensive than other brands of shoes in the same range
- Too big in the width area
Dansko Women’s Professional Clog Mule is one of the best shoes for female doctors who spend long hours on their feet as they perform service to humanity.
The consistency in its quality will keep you comfortable, active, and at your best all-day.
2. Crocs Women’s Neria Pro | Slip-Resistant Work and Nursing Shoe
This is a certifiably comfortable one-piece clog with a roomy fit that is great for moving around in a hospital environment where you will walk on a smooth or wet floor most times.
You can rely on Crocs to keep you comfortable and safe as you make your rounds, thanks to the thick construction that protects the feet from any form of spillage.
The removable insole makes it easy to clean every part with soap and water, thereby avoiding odor build-up and promoting quick drying.
- The slip-resistant soles will protect you from slips and falls
- The low heel keeps your feet balanced and firm on all kinds of floor surfaces while meeting the industry standard
- It is ASTM F2913-11, EN ISO 20347: 2012, OB, SRC, CE certified
- Presence of moisture wicker liner for air ventilation
- The lightweight nature allows you to move with ease from place to place without stressing your feet
- The ventilation holes are not enough for proper circulation of air
- It is not ideal for feet with a high arch
Since the Crocs Women’s Neria Pro Ii Clog is available in 13 colors, it becomes one of the best shoes for female doctors who are fashionable and want to look trendy at work.
3. Dr. Scholl’s Men’s Harrington Work Shoe
The Harrington model is living up to the standard people who buy Dr. Scholl’s products expect considering the maximum comfort it offers users who spend long hours on their feet.
Featuring slip- and oil-resistant traction outsoles that exceed the medical industry anti-slip standard, you can move with ease on oily, slippery and greasy surfaces comfortably.
They got you covered despite the busy and unpredictable condition of hospital floors.
Having Dr. Scholl’s massaging gel with ultra-soft massaging wave system in it means your feet are always well-cushioned and protected against shock.
- Lace-up work shoes offer a personalized and secured fit
- Leather upper is durable and offers superb comfort and flexibility
- 1.25 inches heel will help you stay balanced and comfortable
- Available in black and Bushwhacker color
- Removable insoles can get replaced with custom orthotics if needed
- Thread design on sole accumulate dirt
- Sole separates from the shoe after continued use
Although Dr. Scholl’s Men’s Harrington Work Shoe is very comfortable as expected, you have to remember to order for replacement laces as the laces get frayed and damage due to some friction when tying them.
4. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe
Merrell has continued to rely on modern technology to design and create shoes that are comfortable, lightweight, and efficient to meet the needs of a physician.
If you spend long hours on your feet, you will love this polished slip-on with a padded collar and sole-supportive unit.
With heels measuring 2 inches and an M-select GRIP sole, you can move comfortably around the hospital facility without feeling pains on your feet or heels.
It is the most comfortable shoes for doctors with a compression-molded EVA foot frame for comfort and stability.
- 100% full-grain leather upper enhances the durability
- Use of Merrell air cushion and nylon arch shank in the heel area helps with shock absorption and stability
- Presence of breathable mesh lining wicks with Aegis antimicrobial treatment promotes aeration and protects against bacteria build-up
- Ortholite anatomical footbed helps cushion and support the feet for all-day comfort
- Encore sticky rubber outsole reduces foot fatigue and improves flexibility
- It is not ideal on a wet smooth surface
- Lack of heel support
The casual and comfortable style of the Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe makes it a favorite among the best shoes for doctors to wear.
You can also wear it on your business or casual dress away from the hospital.
5. Skechers for Work Men’s Balder Slip Resistant Work Clog
Sketcher has been an industry leader since 1992 with great shoe designs that fit the lifestyle of each individual.
No wonder Skechers Men’s Slip-Resistant Work Clog is being used by doctors to go about their day-to-day activities comfortably.
The key to making the shoes for doctors is the slip-resistant outsole that meets and exceeds the standard for a wet and oily environment like the hospital.
They keep doctors safe while they perform their obligations to patients and colleagues.
- Ventilating ports at medial side for optimal breathability
- Padded collar and shock-absorbing padded footbed to keep the feet stable and secure on motion
- Flexible EVA upper is durable and lightweight
- ASTM F1677-2005 certified and OSHA- compliant
- The 100% synthetic leather is easy to clean by wiping with a soft piece of cloth
- Many users complained of the soles coming off quickly
- Lack of arch support
- Small size issue. So, order a size up
If you have worn the Skechers for Work Men’s Balder Slip Resistant Work Clog, you will appreciate the clog style, which allows for easy on and off and the support it offers your feet while on the move.
6. Easy Works Women’s Lyndee Health Care Professional Shoe
Easy works Women for professional physicians come in a multi-colored pattern that makes it unique among the best shoes for female doctors.
The slip-resistant non-marking outsole has adequate traction and provides the right support required to move swiftly and efficiently on damp and wet floors.
Medium height heel alongside a high-density removable foam insole with arch support offers exceptional support and comfort.
- Broad heel strike area offers stability and great support
- 100% synthetic upper promotes easy maintenance through wiping with soap and water
- The generous toe box gives a comfortable fit to the top of your feet, so it does not feel crammed
- The antimicrobial footbed is breathable and prevents your feet from getting sweaty
- Use of impact absorbing arch support and heel-cup to cushion your feet for all-day comfort.
- SATRA tested and anti-fatigue outsoles makes it slip-resistant
- Available in 34 sizes and 3 width sizes
- It is not ideal for feet with a high instep
- Shallow heel box
The slip-on design and myriad of colors of Easy Works Women’s Lyndee Health Care Professional Shoe give it an appeal that is irresistible to female doctors who want to wear matching shoes to work.
7. Foamtreads Men’s Doctor
Foamtread is another excellent product that doctors have been enjoying because of the quality and comfortability it offers.
You don’t have to worry about your feet getting swollen after the day’s activities, thanks to the genuine wool upper that soothes and cushions the feet appropriately.
With this flexible, lightweight, and non-marking slipper, you need not worry about foot fatigue and back pain.
- Use of hoop and loop closures at the heel and instep to give you a customized fit
- Adequate heel-to-toe padding ensures your feet are well-cushioned against shock absorption
- It offers superb protection against stain, odor and bacteria build-up
- 100% non-marking rubber outsole protects your floor from destruction
- Easy to wash: just use mild soap and water, and then air dry
- It is not ideal for narrow feet
- Some users complained of the Velcro not closing properly
Apart from Foamtreads Men’s Doctor being part of shoes for doctors, it is a favorite among people that suffer from swollen feet or have foot injuries.
It helps relieve severe pains since it fits perfectly without any form of discomfort.
What to Look for When Buying Shoes for Doctors?
Considering the critical roles that doctors play while trying to save the lives of everyone that passes through their examination rooms, they must put on the right type of shoe to be able to withstand the long hours spent in the hospital in comfort.
Below are some essential features that must be in place for a product to be among the best shoes for doctors.
Every work shoe must be comfortable for you to perform optimally at the workplace. Doctors are not an exception given the nature of their job, which requires them to spend a lot of time on their feet. As such, they need shoes that will be comfortable all-day.
They must avoid wearing ill-fitted, high heels, or shoes without the right amount of cushioning.
Comfortable shoes will help prevent complaints relating to feet fatigue, swollen toes, or a sprained ankle.
Having the right support in your shoes helps to prevent back pains, so doctors should always consider the best brand that offers adequate support that will keep them comfortable all day.
You can always get custom orthotics to complement the ones that came with the shoe, especially if they are removable.
Shoes for doctors should have adequate cushioning that will support the heel and forefoot, thereby reducing the risk of swelling or pain as a result of being on your feet for hours.
The cushioning comes in the form of footbed or inserts that are well padded so you can walk around without limping.
Doctors work in an environment that is teeming with people and full of activities, so to prevent slipping when there is a rush during an emergency, it is best to opt for a slip-resistant shoe.
You should know the floor will be cleaned continuously to get rid of bloodstains, dirt, etc., and, on the other hand, doctors need to move around, which makes them prone to falls and slips.
As such, it is advisable to put on shoes that possess slip-, oil-resistance rubber outsole and lug tread qualities for a firm grip on all kinds of surfaces.
If you don’t want to waste resources buying new shoes frequently, it is better to go for top-quality shoes that can withstand the use you put them through daily at work.
The quality of the material used in making the upper and the sole plays a significant role in determining how long it will serve before needing a replacement.
Do not compromise on quality at the expense of cost.
In a hospital environment, you will undoubtedly expose your shoes to chemicals, spills, bodily fluids, blood, etc. This is the more reason you should go for shoes with arch and toe covers that will protect your leg from such spills.
You should go for shoes that are waterproof and stain-resistant to prevent them from getting damaged easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why do doctors need special shoes?
A. If you consider the number of hours that you will spend on your feet, it is important to have footwear that will prevent you from getting injured.
Looking at a hospital facility, some shoes are accidents waiting to happen, so you should wear the right shoes with the proper support and features to keep yourself safe.
Wearing special shoes also ensures you mitigate the effect of having issues with your back, leg, ankle, and feet after the day’s job.
Q. Why should you go for wide toe boxes or wide fit shoes?
A. Due to the long hours that physicians spend on their feet, it is preferable to buy wider shoes as they help in easing pressure off your feet as you move around to perform your daily activities.
With a wide fit shoe, the tendons, joints, and muscles in your feet can extend naturally without feeling cramped.
Q. Which is the best option for doctors’ shoes? Laces, Velcro straps, or slip-on
A. Considering the different models and designs among the best doctor shoes, you need to decide if you want the ones with laces, slip-on, or Velcro straps.
Well, the different features all have essential purposes they serve in a pair of shoes, as well as the foot condition of the doctor, etc. These, you must understand and consider before picking your choice.
Whereas slip-on is the most convenient for easy on and off, it may not offer optimal support to the upper foot or give a snug fit.
To get the best out of slip-on products, pick the ones with additional padding or that are elastic in the opening area to prevent your feet from sliding out.
With Velcro straps and lacing systems, you can tighten, loosen, or adjust the upper to get your desired fit.
Overall, the quality of your shoe is vital to getting the best use out of it.
Q. Are doctors’ shoes water-resistant?
A. Most doctors’ shoes are water-resistant or are made with rubber due to the nature of their working environment where they are exposed to all sorts of fluids.
The water-resistant level of the full-grain durable leather can withstand any accidental spillage that may occur during rounds or in the theater during a surgery.
Q. How do you make your doctor’s shoe last long?
A. To ensure you don’t spend money unnecessarily buying shoes without getting value from them: Buy quality doctors’ shoes from reputable brands. Quality always trumps cost when it comes to work shoes.
Make sure you have more than a pair, interchanging them to work will make them last for a while before the need for a replacement.
Air your shoe out to dry after the day’s work to prevent the accumulation of sweat that weaken leather products or make your shoes to bring out bad smells.
Finding the best shoes for doctors and medical professionals is not too hard. To alleviate the stress that doctors go through – whether while sitting, standing, or walking around to check on patients, lots of shoe companies have designed shoes to help them stay comfortable all day long.
If you want to pamper your feet so you can have a pain free day, it is best to pick brands that have features such as non-slip soles, lightweight, wide toe box, minimal heels, and adequate cushioning to support your feet.
In line with this, Dansko, Crocs, Dr. Scholls, Merrell, Sketchers, Easy works, and Foamtreads have reduced the time and resources you will spend searching for the right shoes.
Related: See Our Top Shoes for Vet Techs